Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Divorce Is Not A Happy Event

If you take a look at the website of the IACP, a professional association of professionals involved the practice of what is called collaborative law or collaborative practice, you might get the idea that divorce is just dandy. At least to me it looks like they are saying that if you do it right divorce is just another step in your life.

Check it out for yourself if you like HERE. See if you get the same sense from the pictures and the text that I do.

If I just have a hang-up on the issue, post a comment and I'll reconsider.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am divorced and as far as I am concerned it was a failure. I do not think that one should expect to move through life without one's fair share of failures. I am trying to accept my failures as normal parts of life (which I believe they are.)

But, I do not accept the notion that we are in any way better off by papering over our failures, by saying that they aren't so bad really, by re-framing them as the first step to new and better things. They are markers along our life pathways from which we are intended to learn something.

I could probably cobble together a pretty convincing bunch of reasons why it was inevitable that my marriage would fail, reasons that it wasn't really my fault. They even might be mostly true, but PLEASE don't offer to wrap it up and tie a bow around it as a great learning experience. And don't institutionalize my excuses through your ad campaign. I am too good at excuses without any help from anyone else.

A few more of my limited thoughts on divorce can be found HERE.

No comments: