Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Affairs Are Yesterday's News - So?

Apparently, extra-marital relationships and their effects are nothing new or surprising to a majority of Americans polled recently. At least that's what it says here in USA Today.

But even though most of us know someone who's been involved in one, they're still a really hurtful mess. Right?

What's the deal? It's sort of like smoking, cars, or wars.

Last time I heard the numbers the number of people who die from the effects of smoking tobacco each year are somewhere around what would happen if a jumbo jet full of people were to crash and kill everyone every day for a year. We'd never put up with an airline safety record like that.

Again, though my numbers aren't exact I think the number of people killed in the US annually in automobiles is somewhere between 40 and 50 thousand. Every year. But we have to drive, right? I guess so. I'm not sure. And do I have to drive with half-blind, drunken, aggressive idiots? I guess so. I'm not sure. Maybe I'm one of those in the eyes of someone else.

Sometimes you'll hear someone note that it's safer to be in Iraq than to drive across the country in a car or to smoke. Is that right? Could be, but what the heck does that mean to me? There's something about other people trying to hurt or kill me than makes it different. Right? Maybe.

Which brings us back to affairs. Are they like cars and cigarettes, . . . or wars? And, does it matter?

No comments: