Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Still Working On Relationship Problems?

or perhaps trying to avoid the working?





Believe it or not, there are good reasons to believe that the second choice is more effective.

If all the taping, wiring, watching in John Gottman's relationship lab out there in rainy, gray Seattle has brought us any new information on relationships, it may be that the simple things count the most.

Take away the operational definitions and big words and those studies look to me like they suggest that being friends, treating each other from positive assumptions will go further than deep understanding and psychological explanations.

If it's feelilng like work, we're probably going at it the wrong way!

That's good news. Even for us natural grumps.

In fact, when I finish this post I am going over to my website and change my page description from "working through relationship problems" to . . . . . . . well . . . I'm not sure. Maybe something will come to me. Any ideas?

No comments: