Sunday, December 30, 2007

When You Don't Know What You're Doing, the Sky's the Limit



Yeah, but what about when you do know what you're doing? . . . . . .
I am not totally sure, but I suspect it includes mediocracy, rigidity, fighting the last war, missing new opportunities, not seeing the writing on the wall. The list goes on and on. It applies to all kinds of endeavors, not the least of which is relationships.

As we age, we change. Yet, how many of us look at our relationships and see what's right here, right now?

It is so easy to not see that "what we've always done" is not working. It can be even easier to see that there are things that we have never done, perhaps even things that "we don't do" that would be just perfect now.

Chairman Mao apparently killed a lot of people in his effort to shake up Chinese culture in this regard and get out of this kind of energetic, creative straitjacket. Lots of pain and suffering resulted. What do you do to re-energize the creative forces of a whole nation? I don't know.

I do know that the best work-around for this inevitable trap that I have come across is in practicing some form of mindfulness as described on my website http://www.better-relationships-over-50.com/ . (When I first wrote that page I thought that it was just a form of meditation, hence the current title of the page, but I have since become aware of the work of Dr. Langer at Harvard who does not describe her version of mindfulness as meditation, but, rather, a kind of noticing, so I will be broadening what I refer to as mindfulness.

No comments: