Wednesday, October 3, 2007

A Relationship Is A Relationship Is A Relationship

Every so often I hear someone say that they don't have relationship problems because they are in a special kind of relationship from religiously based, to philosophically based, to sexually fetish based. There's something that doesn't seem right about that.

I am glad that these people are happy with their relationships, but I think that they are either selling themselves and their partners short or they are denying the problems that exist. I suspect that there are some in each description.

When two people can successfully stay in a close relationship over an extended period of time and they describe it as a positive one, it seems to me that they must be doing something right even if they don't know what. And, I'm not completely convinced that a little denial is all bad either.

(How much denial is too much? I don't know. Other than the smart aleck response "more than I do", I just don't know.)

No comments: